Contes berbéres chaouis de l’Aurès, d’après M.G. Mercier
Compiled by: Gustave Mercier. Edited by: Mena Lafkioui, Daniela Merolla. Series edited by: Harry Stroomer.
Series: Berber Studies Volume 32002
Text language(s): French
Format: 160 x 240 mm
Tachawit belongs to the family of Berber languages and is spoken by the Chaouia around the Aurès. The Berber languages are a part of the Afro-Asiatic language phylum, together with the Chadic, Cushitic, Semitic and Omotic languages as well Old Egyptian. At present, Berber languages are found from Egypt (Siwa) across Libya and Algeria to Morocco and from the shores of the Mediterranean Sea to south of the Sahara.
The present study contains a revised selection of 21 stories which had been gathered by Gustave Mercier around the end of 19th century and published in his works Cinq textes berbères en dialecte chaouia (1900) and Les Chaouia de l’Aurès (1896). The reader finds an exhaustive example of oral literature among the Chaouia, which illustrates the diversity of narrative styles and topics.
The stories therefore represent an important wealth of information on a dialect which hitherto has been largely unexplored. The texts are preceded by an extensive introduction including a short biographical sketch of Gustave Mercier, his motives for collecting the Chaouia stories as well as a linguistic classification of Tachawit and notes on the narrative traditions of the Chaouia and summaries of the individual narrations. The main part of the book consists of 21 texts completed by a French translation.
In addition to this text collection, the following editions in English or French are available, see the links below:
- An Anthology of Tashelhiyt Berber Folktales (South Morocco)
- Contes berbères de Figuig (Sud-est marocain)
- Tashelhiyt Berber Folktales from Tazerwalt (South Morocco)
- Tashelhiyt Berber Texts from Ida u Tanan (South Morocco)
- Tashelhiyt Berber Texts from the Ayt Brayyim, Lakhsas and Guedmioua Region (South Morocco)
- A Grammar of Tadaksahak
- Berber in Contact / Le berbère en contact
- Études de la variation et de la structuration linguistiques et sociolinguistiques en berbère du Rif
Abderrahman El Aissati in Journal of Language and Popular Culture in Africa, 3/1, 26.2.2003, pp. 1-4
|« back||Print version||[top]|